Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Global Gathering

Saturday night, and Laura my eldest stepdaughter has gone to the ‘Global Gathering’ down at Long Marston which is six miles away as the crow flies.

Around about eight, I stepped back from the keyboard wondering which brain dead (And apparently deaf) bozo had parked in the street with their boom box on full.
“There’s a noisy sod out there.” I said, ready to go out and see what the fuss was.
“I think you’d better come to the back door.” Angie told me.

As I stepped into the kitchen I could hear it more clearly. Not just the ‘Thud, thud, thud' of the back beat, but some of what passed for the melody. Upon opening the double glazed back door I was amazed. Well bust my britches if we couldn’t hear the party as though it were only in the next street.

Several wisecracks passed between Angie and myself about what might be the state of Laura’s hearing on the following day. “We could always mime at her to make her think she’s gone deaf.” Suggested Joanna, youngest and cheekiest of our two. I’ve got a real soft spot for Jo when she isn’t pulling a teenage mardy on me but she will do well enough. Life will knock a few of the corners off her, but doesn’t that happen to us all? Let her enjoy it while she can.

No comments: