Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Submission

There's always a nervousness around the house every time a piece of work gets submitted. Today was one of the bigger nervous episodes. I despatched a synopsis and sample package off to Macmillan, and hope that they are still looking for new authors. This is the fifth re-write of the story, and I like how it has turned out, so here goes nothing. "Shifting States" the new first volume in the Cerberus trilogy works. The story works, and I personally like it and have enjoyed writing it. The characters have more life than before. You can feel them much more.

It occurs to me that there's not a hell of a lot of good science fiction out there, in England at least. Well, not stuff that piques my particular interest anyway. By good science fiction I mean 'hard' science fiction, not space opera, fantasy or horror. About the only English science fiction writer I currently like is Peter F Hamilton.

Having written that, there's not much of a market for Sci-Fi, at least not if you look through the Writers Guides. There are quite a few publishers and agents who refuse to even look at the genre and many actively discourage it. Yet there's so much published that I find very uninteresting reading anyway. No accounting for taste I suppose.

Anyway, here's hoping.

No comments: